Friday, March 14, 2008

Appointment update

The dental appointment went well. We had a couple of surprises that weren't expected, however. The first tooth that Dr. C worked on was tooth #7 (upper right side, 2nd from the front). It was a previously root canaled tooth. When Dr. C took the crown off, he did not find amalgam, but instead found decay. It was surprising since the tooth was supposedly well-sealed, meaning the dentist who put it on did not make sure that it was a sterile environment before completing the 'crowning'. That tooth was root canaled and crowned several years ago (more than 8). I wish I knew what dentist so I knew who to blame it on, but I only have a couple of guesses since that information is long gone. Dr. C said we caught the problem in time. Had we not, the tooth would have eventually failed, leaving nothing to work with. I'm still concerned about not re-treating or removing the root canaled teeth, but there still really isn't a viable option for replacement at this time.

The second tooth really threw Dr. C for a loop. This tooth was #29, lower right side, 3rd from the back. This tooth is partially root canaled (only 1 of 3 roots treated). The dentist who did this one not only used amalgam as the binder, but stuck 2 titanium pins (and a 3rd pin that was not identifiable) right in the middle of it. Dr. C said the 3rd pin looked like a piece of dental equipment that apparently was used instead of more titanium to cut corners. He said he had never seen anything like that done before. Again, I don't know what dentist did it, but I have my guesses. I've seen several dentists in my lifetime, but a couple stand out now as ones who, had I known better, I wouldn't have trusted for anything. Titanium can and does react with amalgam when in close proximity. Mine was of course touching, causing probably quite a bit of problems going on in that one tooth. I can't even imagine what the other three crowned teeth I haven't had worked on yet are hiding under them!

Dr. C also replaced an old composite filling that was failing, so now the whole right side of my mouth is completed and thoroughly amalgam free. I'm quite happy about that.

As I wrote yesterday about my body being forced into detox mode, I had barely left the dentist office and was already feeling effects. Since then, my chest has been tight and the air feels heavy. I have also noticed other tell-tale signs of detoxification (irritability, brain fog, overall feeling of illness, etc.). I was hoping this wasn't going to happen, but I am trying to look at it in the light of it's a good thing, because my body is getting rid of the poison...it just doesn't feel very good. I just hope the effects are short-lived.

My final revision appointment for the last three crowns will be all the way out to late May. I certainly wish it could be sooner, but that's all that Dr. C had available. I'm hoping there's a cancellation and they can bump it up sooner.

Here's just another reminder of the ills of having amalgam fillings...there is huge cost, not only financially to have them replaced later on, but cost to your health, your livelihood, and possibly your life. Amalgam is 50% mercury. Mercury is poison. IT DOES NOT BELONG IN YOUR BODY.

No comments: