Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Some Results...

Yesterday I went and got my test results from the nurse practitioner I saw about a week and a half ago. The results of the thyroid test did not show my thyroid as bad as we believed it to be, but bad enough to warrant a low dose of thyroid replacement. The test results also showed that I was extremely deficient in vitamin D, so I was put on a high dose of that as well and will be rechecked in 3 months.

I do have a couple of theories about this - mind you they are just theories, but with all of the reading I've done I really believe it's plausible.

Theory #1: Mercury toxicity in my body is causing a false-positive reading for my thyroid levels. What I mean is, the mercury that's running around my body wreaking havoc has done damage to my thyroid, but not enough to cause the blood not to be carrying around enough of the hormone for it to think it's well. It's like I explained in a post several months ago about the battery and the toy: this particular toy (the thyroid gland) needs a battery (thyroid hormone) to work. The battery is not able to be placed properly in the toy however, because the "fake" battery mercury has slipped into its place, blocking it. Now the toy knows there's something there, but this "dead" battery won't do its job. My theory is that the T4 and T3 and TSH tests I had done were showing inaccuracies because the mercury is in the way, pretending to be a hormone. My symptoms highly indicate my thyroid has stopped working properly, but the tests show that there are only minimal problems. What will be interesting to see is how much the thyroid meds help now and what it will be like after I have the rest of my amalgam removed and start detoxing.

Theory #2: has to do with the adrenals. The more and more I read up on the adrenals and symptoms of adrenal fatigue, the more I'm positive that the thyroid and the adrenals function together and have both been stressed by the mercury running around my body. I talked briefly with my doctor about my adrenals at my last visit with him, and Dr. S said that my adrenals are malfunctioning, he's just not sure what went first - the adrenals or the thyroid. If you try to heal one without healing the other, you won't get very far. I didn't realize it until I looked up a lot of what Dr. S has me taking, but we are addressing the adrenals, so I'm thankful for that.

Theory #3: Vitamin D. Obviously I knew I was going to be very low, just didn't know how low. I don't eat dairy to get the fortified Vitamin D (lactose intolerance), and I don't spend a lot of time outside (extremely cold temps due to winter, and living in the Northern Hemisphere). Vitamin D is made by the sun on your skin, and not really anywhere else. No food can give you enough to supply what your body needs, and it can't make it by itself. My theory here is that due to my inability to be outside in the sun due to where I live is huge. Even in the summer months I don't spend a lot of time outside, so I may have always been deficient and didn't know it. I'm not sure I can blame mercury on this at all, other than to say if I didn't have all these other health problems going on, I'd probably spend a lot more time outdoors with my kids (who I might add are probably deficient in Vitamin D as well!). The nurse yesterday said a doctor once told her that people who live in the Northern hemisphere could run around
in the sun naked for 3-5 hours every day for the rest of their lives and still not get enough vitamin D. Can anyone say a month long Caribbean cruise?

No comments: