Monday, June 23, 2008

Not going anywhere very fast...

Today I'm in a funk. It is the 6 week mark since I had my amalgams removed, and I'm feeling a little down about the progress I've made. I was hoping I'd notice some big differences in how I've felt by now, but there has been pretty much next to nothing in either direction overall. I have been struggling with more fatigue as of late, more than I've had in quite a while. It's been tough. I tried spending time with my family this last weekend going to a classic car show about an hour from our home. I only lasted 4 1/2 hours, which sadly, in comparison to last year, was terrible. Last year we were there the entire three days and I was nowhere as fatigued as I was in the one day this year. It was frustrating and a bit mind-boggling. I expected this summer to be difficult, but I guess part of me was telling my brain that I was going to feel good instantaneously after the amalgams were gone...a thought that should have never crossed my mind.

I am trying to prepare myself mentally for stronger levels of detoxification now that the 6-week mark has passed, but I'm having trouble wrapping myself around the thoughts of feeling worse for a while. So far where we live it's been a cooler spring, but the days have been beautiful and enjoyable. To have to think of spending these days being more miserable after being miserable for over 3 years is hard to look forward to. The only thing that keeps me on track is the hope that I will be symptom free at the end of all of this. I'll be able to have fun with my family and go for walks and bike rides and even drive again. And feel good through all of it.

I know I've not talked about this before, but I wanted to share how my mind has been affected by this illness. I believe the mercury has caused my brain to do strange things, especially causing me to be an over-emotional wreck. I get worried about things I shouldn't have to be worried about. I especially worry that I will never drive again...something I enjoyed doing up until 2 years ago when the off-balance and dizzy feelings got worse. I get anxious for no reason - something that I never had problems with before. My brain sends signals to different parts of my body, and my nerve endings produce pains and aches I never used to have, nor signals anything wrong with me. My short term memory is absolutely terrible, and I have to go back and read what I've written several times just to remember what I was talking about. Sometimes all Sparky (my husband) has to do is walk in the door after a long day at work and look at me and I cry for no reason. My head gets migrating aches and pains and sometimes they get so bad I think the pain will shut my brain down and I'll pass out and not wake up. I occasionally get heart palpitations that feels like my heart doesn't know when to beat and causes me to feel anxiousness, too.

I've read enough personal stories of others who have suffered with mercury toxicity to know that I'm on the right track when I say I believe it's mercury, even though there is a part of me that worries it's something more. Mercury is poison enough to cause me to blame it for all of this, since I had so much available to my body for so long.

I'm hoping that I'll have more positive news the next time I check in. I would love some encouragement from anyone out there who's detoxing from mercury toxicity and who's felt symptoms like me, or for that matter, just plain encouragement from anyone!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need to chelate. Remember you actually raised your mercury levels when you had your amalgams removed (even if you had all of the necessary precautions taken). I got worse after removal, and started chelating about 2 months after removal and had drastic improvement within a month of beginning chelation. My only setbacks have been when I go to the dentist (having some crown work done). I believe that the exposure for the few hours in the office causes an exacerbation of symptoms for me. Once I chelate again, I'm back on track. Most of my symptoms are gone. The few remaining are improved. It has been 9 months. I use oral DMPS with no side effects from it except greatly improved health. Many use DMSA with signficant benefits. Algin is supposed to be helpful to control candida symptoms. Follow the Cutler protocol with very low doses to avoid side effects.

I also had a lot of dizziness and vertigo. I believe it was candida related (sinus infections). Do you have sinus symptoms in conjunction with the balance/dizziness issues? If so, try a neti pot to clean out the sinuses. It helped me drastically.

Laurie said...

Hey, thanks so much for commenting, and encouraging me to remember what I am ready to be doing - chelating! I am glad to hear that DMPS worked for you...I have read about so many people that have had negative reactions to it. I will talk to my doctor about what chelation method he'd like me to use and get going on it so I can start seeing some results.

Yes, I do seem to have sinus pressure and pain most days. A friend of mine uses a neti pot and says it does wonders for her...I'll have to get one and see if it can help me. Thanks so much for the input...I really appreciate it!